Thursday, July 15, 2010

pedi gyn and yogurt

On pedi gyn now, which gives me lots of free time!

In other news, I've started making my own yogurt as of last weekend. I've made it twice now, both with equal outcomes. It's cheap and delicious. I use organic whole milk (what I drink anyway even if it's not going to become yogurt, or if my mom buys 2%, then whatever is on hand) and the cheapest single serving plain yogurt I can find.

I definitely think it tastes better than ye olde storebought yogurt. Yum.

Recipe:
1) Dump as much milk as yogurt that you want to eat into a pot. I eyeball about half of whatever is left in the carton of milk, so we'll still have milk left. It's been around a quart cause we get the half gallons.
2) boil it while stirring so it doesn't scald
3) leave it alone for a couple hours or somehow wait for it to cool to slightly warmer than body temp. I just eyeball the temp too, by putting my hand on the outside of the pot and imagining myself bathing in water which is the temperature of the yogurt. If I think it would be comfortable, I proceed.
4) take half of your single serving plain yogurt and put it in the pot and stir with a spoon. Put the other half away for safekeeping, or eat it while you're waiting.
5) Here is where i have used different methods. The basic principle is that the bacteria proliferate the best around 120 degrees F (so I hear), but heating them too much will kill them (but I haven't killed any yet so I'm not sure at what temp they die).
a) If it is Texas in the summer, during the day - put a heavy opaque lid on your yogurt and stick it out in the sun.
b) If not - heat your oven to 150 degrees F, turn off the heating element, put a heavy lid on the yogurt, stick it in the oven.
6) wait for 6-10 hours.
7) look at your yogurt. it should look gelatinous. optional to pour off the whey. Put it in tupperwares and refrigerate.
8) when cold, I like to eat it either plain, with honey and grapenuts, or I would mix in jam or preserves for a fruity taste, if I liked a fruity taste, which I don't.

No comments: